A Resource for

Landlords in British Columbia


Got a question?  

Call the Residential Tenancy
Branch - 1.800.665.8779


Home   |   Rental Forms   |   Getting Started   |   Due Diligence   |   Renovations   |   Selling   |   Evictions   |   Disputes

If you're currently between Tenants, now could be the perfect time to undertake some key renovations that deliver the best return-on-investment to boost your rent.


Ending A Tenancy

You can take action to evict a Tenant if the Tenant has failed to pay the rent, has caused unreasonable damage, or has bothered you or another Tenant.

You may also evict a Tenant if you or an immediate family member (parent, son or daughter of you or your spouse only) wants to move in, or if you sell the rental unit and the new owner or the owner’s immediate family wants to move in. Read more about Selling a Rented Property.  If you have the necessary building permits, you can end a tenancy to carry out major renovations or demolish the unit.

Tenants do have the right to dispute a Notice to End Tenancy by applying for dispute resolution if they suspect the notice is not permitted by the Residential Tenancy Act.


The Residential Tenancy Branch takes eviction disputes very seriously and so you must make sure you have legal reason to end the tenancy. 

If you are buying a rental property, and there are Tenants currently residing in it, you are bound by their existing rental agreement. You cannot make them sign a new agreement with new terms or a new rental amount. However, the Residential Tenancy Guide states: “To raise the rent above the permitted amount, the Landlord must have either the Tenant’s written agreement or an RTB order.” So for example, if you buy a tenanted property and the current Tenant agrees to pay $50 more per month in order to have new flooring installed, that is permitted providing you get it in writing and have the Tenant sign in agreement.

For details on the procedures for evicting a Tenant, you can phone the Residential Tenancy Office toll-free at 1-800-665-8779 or in the Lower Mainland at 604-660-1020 or Victoria at 250-387-1602.

For Notices to End Tenancy, please visit our Rental Forms page.

Ending the Tenancy 

Check out the requirements for a landlord to end a tenancy and find out what it means to end one “in good faith.”

Policy Guideline - Good Faith Requirement when Ending a Tenancy

Landlords giving notice to end a tenancy



Smart Landlords try to communicate with their Tenants in writing, whether by email or text, in order to keep a paper trail.  This paper trail will become evidence if you ever have to go to arbitration so please keep your communication professional.






Home   |   Rental Forms   |   Getting Started   |   Due Diligence   |   Renovations   |   Selling   |   Evictions   |   Disputes

Disclaimer  ۰  © 2014